JAMES DOUGLAS: THE FATHER OF BISBEE, ARIZONA
#JamesDouglas: The "Father of Bisbee" 🏭💪
- James Douglas, a Canadian of Scottish descent born in Quebec in 1837, became a local hero in #Bisbee, Arizona.
- Douglas's expertise as an expert metallurgist led to his recruitment by Phelps, Dodge, and Co. in 1881 to develop copper mining in Morenci and Bisbee.
💰💡 Mining and Community Contributions 💒🌎
- Douglas hit a massive copper ore vein on Bucky O'Neil Hill, leading to the #WarrenMiningDistrict's population explosion.
- He solved the water supply issue by finding a fresh-water aquifer under the US-Mexico Border and piping it to Bisbee, serving the town till today.
🛒⚖️ Affordable Goods and Community Welfare 🏥👨👩👧👦
- To combat price-gouging, Douglas purchased Mary Crossey's General Store and transformed it into the #CopperQueenStore, offering reasonably priced goods.
- He donated his private residence as the first Copper Queen Hospital, contributing to the healthcare needs of the community.
🔥🏭 Smelting Expansion and City Building 🚂🏢
- To meet smelting demands, Douglas built a new copper smelter near the railway he constructed to the Nacozari Mine, which spurred the growth of the City of #DouglasAZ.
- The new smelter doubled copper production and provided employment opportunities for workers.
James Douglas's immeasurable contributions to the #WarrenMiningDistrict and #Bisbee make him a local hero and the "Father of Bisbee." 🙌👏